Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's been a while...

I have finally found some down time for me to update my blog! Being so busy with work and the kids it's hard for me to find time to blog instead of doing the dishes, or laundry, or making dinner :) But without further delay here is a quick little update!

For Mother's Day my sweet husband decided to sign us up to run a 5K... For those that don't know me, I really don't like to run plus I am an asthmatic so the thought of running 3 miles was not my idea of fun! But for those of you who don't know Scott, he loves to run! He ran track and cross country in high school and as always wanted me to run with him. Well the thing that persuaded me into doing it was that it was the Koman Breast Cancer 5K and I thought it would be neat to do in honor of my mother. So I talked a few of my siblings into running it with us. Scott soon became Coach Curtis and put me on the treadmill for training :) In addition to the training, Scott also said it was mandatory for me to get running shoes and shorts so I could be official! After just 3 weeks we were ready for the big day....

The night before the race I made a couple signs for Mya to hold while I pushed them in the stroller.

Left to right: Scott, me, Nathan, Shawna, Chad, Landon, then Rob and Jamie in the front. Nathan drove down from Montana to surprise mom. We were hoping she would be there at the finish line to see him run across with the others, but unfortunately mom was too sick to make it. So we had to capture it on video (thanks to Jamie who didn't race) then show it to mom back at home to surprise her. We know it's a good surprise when mom starts to cry, and sure enough we got the tears! :)

I could not believe how many people were there! I think they said the final number was over 19,000! It was so crowded that it really made it hard to maneuver the stroller in and out of all the people walking, but with Shawna's help we still made pretty good timing.

Here's the picture after the race at the finish line. Although they didn't keep time so there was no winner, Scott came in the top ten. Shawna, me and the kids did it in about 40 minutes- could have been 30 had it not taken us ten minutes to get where we could start running! Notice Rob lifting up his shorts to make fun of Scott and I in our running shorts... LOL

As proud as Shawna and I were to finish the race, we are more proud of our awesome mom who battles this ugly disease with more courage and heart than anyone I know! For a quick update on my mom... The cancer has now started to spread into her other lung and continues to spread on the bones. She just started a short "lower-level" chemo treatment that will last 12 weeks. She just had her 2nd treatment last week and it made her awful sick! We sure hope the next ones don't make her feel this awful! We love you mom!!!

Scott secretly asked Jamie to take a picture of our legs... I am very self conscious about my legs and fought Scott in wearing the short running shorts, but I did it! So this pic is for you babe! The race was a lot of fun and I am thankful my awesome husband had us do it. It was neat to see all the people run in honor of women they know that have/had breast cancer. We want to make this a family tradition but be better prepared with a cleaver t-shirt... Our two favorites were: Save 2nd Base and We Support Our Boobs; Stop the War in My-Raq! haha

So in my absence of blogging my little boy continues to get bigger and bigger! He is now just a month away from his first birthday and it makes me so sad to think he's that old already!!! Here's a pic I took at ten months since I forgot to do it after his 9 month check up!


He is such a goer and is constantly on the move. He is not yet walking but pulls himself up to everything. He loves to play with balls, stick out his tongue, and laughs at whatever Mya is doing. He is so much fun!

My sweet Mya chipped her tooth a year ago and it just recently went gray. Shortly after it turning gray she got an abscess above the tooth. We finally found a good pediatric dentist to fix it. Here is the before picture (also take a look at the 5K pic of her in the stroller and you can see the bubble on her gums):

And here is the after shot showing off her pretty princess teeth. :)
Mya is such a good helper and is learning so much. She is so interested in letters right now and loves to write the letter M. She loves to play outside, go swimming, and be daddy's little helper!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

What are you talking about...you have sexy legs!! I've show the babies off!! Congrats on running the 5k. i HATE running to just run. So I'm proud of you! Your mom is always in my prayers!! Love you shabeck!

Marci said...

I think you have WAY sexy legs too... I also am going to put a vote in for the t-shirt to say Stop the War in My-Raq. I got a good kick out of that one. I really pray your mom starts feeling better and this next round of chemo will work.
Love ya all...
P.S. Wade likes "Will run for boobs"

Marci said...

Oh yeah and you need to change my blog address to marcifhooton.blogspot.com

Georges said...

I think it's awesome that you all ran in honor of your Mom! What a supportive family.

Love the t-shirt names....