Monday, July 5, 2010

Viva Las Vegas!

So we went on a fun, quick family vacation over Memorial Day weekend... Even though today is Mason's birthday, I will need to blog about that one later this week after I've downloaded all the pictures I took! :)

Mya and Daddy being goof balls checking out the hotel bed. This was Mya's first time at a hotel- she loved it!

Our first night there we just went to see the sights. We parked at the Excalibur and Mya fell in love with the Princess castle!
Looking over the Strip... Mason was asleep in the stroller :)
The Fountains at the Bellagio. I think this was my favorite...


My two adorable kids anxious to go swimming! We played in the pool every day. The weather was perfect!
Cooling off in the nice pool... Random note, the girl in the background is Michelle Taboe from Lehi. Such a random place to run into an old acquaintance! Her little girl actually fell into the pool and Scott jumped in to save her. Crazy...
We had a fun day at Circus Circus. Watching the acts and playing games!
Mya loved all the rides!

Mason loved chewing on his shoe while sister rode the carousel :)
The volcano at the Mirage in the day light...
In front of the pirate ship, at the not so "G rated" Treasure Island outdoor show!!!
So there was this random guy on the street with his two birds. Mya kept wanting to pet them and finally after the 3rd time passing him we finally let her go up and ask. But dude had a better idea to do a big family photo shoot!



During our picture session we gathered quite a crowd- well Mya gathered quite the crowd. Everyone would stop and say, "Look how adorable she is!" "Oh my gosh (except use the other word, which is another story to write about) look at that cute girl!" etc etc Mya did do awesome and wasn't scared of the birds at all. After taking all these pics then the guy tells us his fee is $20... Yeah, how do you say no to that??? Oh well I love all the pictures!
The volcano erupting at the Mirage...
For those of you that know Mya, know that she LOVES M&M's so she LOVED the M&M Factory! :)
Mason liked the Factory too... more so for the escalator rides up and down the 4 stories!
We went to a dinner and show at the Excalilbur called Tournament of Kings, where it was all mid-evil. Our meal was Cornish hens, potato wedges with broccoli, and tomato soup which we had to eat with our hands- no silverware! It was a fun show, and Mya loved it but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone! :)
Mya loved the horses. They did different games such as spear throwing and jousting that was fun to watch. They said we weren't suppose to take pictures, which was really stupid, so the few I had to sneak in aren't the greatest!
Here is Mya posing with our King from Ireland (each section of the arena was a different country) By Mya's face you can tell how hot it was in the arena!!!
This last pic of me with the kids was in Mesquite when we took a quick pit stop at one of the Casinos... Where's Scott you ask? haha I'll just say he was winning a free night stay at the Casa Blanca LOL

A few other things we did was ride the roller coaster at New York New York, people watched, walked forever, saw Terrell Owens, and of course listened to a stupid time share sales pitch!!! My favorite story to tell about Las Vegas though was while we were walking on the strip Sunday afternoon Mya was singing the primary song "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know who I am! I know God's plan, I'll follow Him in faaaiiiittthhhhh!!!" She kept repeating that part of the song over and over and over, for a good ten minutes straight! My first instinct was to tell her to be quiet and not sing so loud, but then I realized she was so happy singing that song and I was so proud of her for knowing the song. It soon dawned on me how grateful I am to know who I am while walking amongst "lost souls" that thought the Las Vegas lifestyle was the way to be happy. I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and love that Mya loves it too!

So on the flip side to that story, is the one I referenced above about taking the Lord's name in vain. I can attest that "What happens in Vegas" does not always stay in Vegas!!! So we returned home Monday evening and on Wednesday I thought I heard Mya say OMG. I ignored it the first time, but shortly after she said it again and again! I took her aside and asked what she was saying. She said "OMG" taking His name in vain. I told her we don't say that but can say gosh instead. She said okay and I thought problem solved. Well unfortunately as quickly as she learned it, it became a habit even quicker!!! She was saying it about everything! She would say it while pretending with her toys, when she'd stub her toe, or even after a joke. After MANY talks about how sad it makes Heavenly Father and a few time-outs she was still saying it, and most of the time she'd say it without even noticing until I got after her her! On the second day she still was saying it out of habit, so we had to break out the bar of soap... I think this tactic finally caught her attention and she began catching herself say it, but only after she had already said. I told her we would wash her mouth out with soap after every time I heard her say it. Sure enough she said it again so I took her in the bathroom when she immediately started sobbing, "No, no not the soap!" I told her I wouldn't make her put the soap in her mouth if she said a prayer and told Heavenly Father sorry. She said the cutest, sweetest prayer as she cried her way through the whole thing, "I'm sorry for saying the bad word. Please help me not to say it so I don't have to eat soap. I am sorry. Please forgive me..." I wish I could say that was her last time taking His name in vain, but it was a hard habit to break! After a few more prayers, and threats of soap, we finally replaced the OMG with holy moly! :) It took three whole days to get her to replace it. She would go to say it then stop herself and say, "Mom I didn't say the word. What can I say again?" then I reminded her of "holy moly" and she'd go on her way. The only thing I can think of of where she picked up that phrase was while in Vegas. It served as a good reminder to me how she watches/listens and picks up on everything! Although I wish we didn't have to go through this with Mya we used it as a good teaching experience, and hope she always remembers it! If not, I now have it written in our blog to serve as a reminder! haha

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love that the guy charged you $20. That's so funny. Sorry about Mya's new habit :). My kids have picked up on that from tv and hearing it around different crowds. It's hard when you have to tell them not to say it. It makes them want to say it all the more it seems like. Luckily my kids didn't get to the point we had to use soap. I loved Mya's prayer. I hope things are going well for you. Love ya Cuz!

Ashley said...

Was that your first trip to Lost Wages.(as kyle calls it). that's a bummer about Mya. Why to hold with your guns about the soap. You have a persistant little girl on your hands. Three days to break that habit. Gotta love your little princess.

Jamie said...

Holy Moly I heart that story!!