Monday, August 1, 2011

Grandma's House...

This is my Grandma and Grandpa Durfey's home... Many of my first childhood memories come from within this home, as well as some of my most cherished memories including my wedding reception. For many, this house has stood as a landmark on American Fork's Main St for 50+ years, which is set to be sold and demolished to make room for a commercial building...


One of the special things this home is known for was Grandma's roses! Grandma truly had an amazing green thumb! Her roses lined the long driveway and were planted throughout the yard.


Here is the middle section of the Durfey yard. Keep in mind, this yard has not been really looked after for more than 4 months...


The sad looking garage...


In addition to the roses, Grandma had a lot of Hollyhocks. I loved making little dolls from these flowers when I was little.


Many great family BBQ's on this patio


The awesome pond and waterfall. Behind this is what we called the "forest" growing up. :) We had some great times playing pretend, hide and seek, and sardines!


The cool outdoor stove and fireplace. I unfortunately never saw this used, but it sure made for a fun kitchen while we played house!


Here is the side door that we would always enter through, making weekly Sunday visits. I loved walking right into the kitchen and the all the wonderful smells; ranging from her awesome choc chip cookies, fresh cut roses in a vase, and her famous homemade chicken noodles! Smells that will always spark a memory, and helped to make this house a home!


I love this picture (click on it to make it bigger)!!! This is a picture of my neices from inside the sunroom. This was often a lot like a greenroom with all the indoor plants and flowers grandma had in various pots, along with the awesome green patterned carpet. If you look just to the left of my neice you can see 4 silhouttes. The strongest, brightest one looks like a young version of my mom with her long hair! I'd like to think the other three are my grandparents and aunt who are all on the other side. It makes me think they are closer by than we realize!

I will dearly miss this house and all the memories, and especially the presence of the loved ones that have passed on that I know still dwell there! I hope the memories and pictures I've taken will be with me forever!

2 comments:

The Scotts said...

Sad! I went to your grandmas for fhe on time, I think you were there with Jordan and all the boys! Good times! There is nothing like going to grandmas house!

T and B said...

What fun memories, but a sad day for your family. Glad you got to take pictures before it is gone.