Monday, October 6, 2008

Can I clean your toilet?

While listening to Elder Uchtdorf's talk at the women's conference last week of losing yourself in the service of others, it brought back memories of my favorite example of this that I thought would be fun to share...

It was the first week of our second semester back at BYU-Idaho so I was already familiar with the campus and ward/apt complex. My roommates and I got a long great and we had many friends. We were all home from school on a cold afternoon when we heard a knock on our door. It was one of our neighbors with one of her new roommates we did not know. The new girl was holding a toilet brush and with a big grin immediately asked, "Can I clean your toilet?" I laughed and said, "What, are you doing a scavenger hunt or something?" In a cute Canadian accent she replied, "Osh no. I am just terribly home sick fer my family back at hoome and knew that service would help get my mind of 'em." I laughed so hard! This girl was hilarious! I told her we had just cleaned our bathroom but she was more than welcome to come in and visit. I think she still insisted cleaning something, but we talked for nearly 2 hours getting to know each other. After she left she went on to another apartment to see what other service she could do. From that time on Kara and I were great friends, and still keep in touch today.

Although my example of service is not the usual touching, helping an old lady, feel good story, it helps to remind me WHEN I need to be looking to serve. I know when times are hard, whether I'm going through a personal struggle or just having a depressing day, service is the last thing on my mind. I usually would prefer to veg in front of the TV or mope around feeling bad for myself, but through Kara's example I've learned those are the times I need to find something to do for someone else. By her silly offer of service not only did she relieve her homesickness, but she made a lasting friendship. Thank you Kara for your great friendship and for an example of service that I will never forget!

No comments: